Helping Injured Workers' Get The Benefits They Need For Over 30 Years

What Happens If My Workers’ Compensation Claim Is Denied?

On Behalf of | Oct 12, 2021 | Denied Claims |

If your filed workers’ compensation claim has been denied, don’t panic. It is not uncommon for insurance companies to deny a claim for various reasons, and not all of those reasons are valid. For example, there may simply have been an error on the claim form or in processing. It is possible to appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim, but the first step to take is to find out why it was denied.

Common Reasons for Claim Denial

When filing a workers’ compensation claim, meeting deadlines is essential. A claim can be denied just because you missed a deadline. There may also be a dispute about whether or not your injury was actually work-related. The insurance company may claim that your injury was due to a pre-existing condition or that it occurred due to an action you took. If someone erroneously classified you as an independent contractor instead of an employee, your claim would also be denied. Additionally, it is possible that your injury did not fall within the category of compensable injuries.

The Appeal Process

Unless the denial of your claim is due to a simple error during processing, you can probably benefit from hiring a workers’ compensation attorney. The letter of denial that you receive will indicate the deadline by which you must appeal, so be sure to meet the deadline. Filing a form called the Employee’s Claim Petition with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (MDLI) will start the appeal process, and the attorney can help you with this. You will need to have a doctor support your claim, as well as have records of all medical treatment related to the claim.

Call a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

If you have been injured at work or have been denied workers’ compensation benefits, do not take chances. Take the first step towards recovering the benefits you deserve. Schedule an appointment with a work injury attorney in Saint Louis Park or Hennepin County, Minnesota today by calling Thill and Freeman at (952) 512-7512.