Helping Injured Workers' Get The Benefits They Need For Over 30 Years

What Is a Notice of Intent to Discontinue Benefits?

On Behalf of | Oct 12, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

A Notice of Intent to Discontinue Benefits (NOID) is a form that is filled out by an insurer or employer and sent to someone receiving workers’ compensation benefits to inform them that they intend to stop paying or to reduce the amount of benefits being paid. The NOID must be filed by the insurance company with the Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Division. If you receive one of these notices, you have the right to request a conference before an Administrative Law Judge. A workers’ compensation attorney can help with this process.

Reasons Why Notice of Intent to Discontinue Benefits Are Given

A NOID form can be sent to an employee if the employee’s doctor has released them to return to work without any restrictions, or if the employee has already returned to work at their full rate of pay. NOID forms may also be sent when an injured employee fails to comply with the prescribed treatment, or if they have aged and completely retired from work. However, sometimes the reason why a NOID form is sent is not a good reason, in which case a workers’ compensation attorney can help dispute the NOID and get the benefits reinstated.

Requesting a Hearing

If you are an employee who is receiving workers’ compensation benefits and have received a NOID, you must respond to the NOID within twelve days of receiving the notice. You can object to the NOID by calling the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry at 1-800-342-5354.  A conference will then be scheduled so that you have a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. It is wise to consult with a workers’ compensation attorney if you do not already have one. This attorney can then represent you at the conference.

Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

If you have been injured at work or have been denied workers’ compensation benefits, do not take chances. Take the first step towards recovering the benefits you deserve. Schedule an appointment with a work injury attorney in Saint Louis Park or Hennepin County, Minnesota today by calling Thill and Freeman at (952) 512-7512.