Helping Injured Workers' Get The Benefits They Need For Over 30 Years

What Is an IME for Workers’ Compensation?

On Behalf of | Oct 12, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

An IME for workers’ compensation is an independent medical examination that is done by a doctor other than your treating physician. This third-party doctor is usually chosen by the employer or the employer’s insurance company and is intended to be an independent and objective party. However, this is not always the case. The goal of this doctor is to determine whether or not your injury was truly work-related, determine the severity of the injury, and what treatment will be needed.

Do I Have to Attend an IME?

In the state of Minnesota, you are required by law to attend the IME if you have been notified that you need one. It is wise to bring a family member or a friend to the exam with you, as they can serve as a witness. Having records of all your treatments and being familiar with your current diagnosis, symptoms, and injuries is essential. It’s also smart to know what the insurance company has already said to the IME doctor. Usually, a letter is sent to this doctor from an insurance claims adjuster, and you can get a copy of this letter to review.

How a Work Injury Attorney Can Help

If there is a dispute over whether or not your injury is work-related, which has led to the request for the IME, it can be helpful to have a work injury attorney represent you. It is possible that the IME could affect your workers’ compensation benefits, and an attorney can help you challenge any such opinion from the IME doctor. This attorney can also request a copy of the IME report so that you can take it to your treating physician for comparison. If your treating physician does not agree with the IME physician’s diagnosis, that is a basis for challenging the IME physician.

Speak with a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

If you have been injured at work or have been denied workers’ compensation benefits, do not take chances. Take the first step towards recovering the benefits you deserve. Schedule an appointment with a work injury attorney in Saint Louis Park or Hennepin County, Minnesota today by calling Thill and Freeman at (952) 512-7512.