Helping Injured Workers' Get The Benefits They Need For Over 30 Years

What to Do if You Are Injured on The Job

On Behalf of | Oct 12, 2021 | Workplace Injuries |

If you’ve been hurt while on the job, chances are you’re entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. It is the law of every state that employers provide workers’ compensation insurance for their employees to cover treatment in the event that they are injured on the job. Workers’ compensation benefits usually cover everything from medical treatment and rehabilitation to lost wages from being off work. However, you must file a workers’ compensation claim and follow all the necessary steps in order to receive this compensation.

Getting Medical Help

The first step to take after a work-related injury is to seek medical attention. You can go to a provider that is designated by your employer, or you can choose a doctor on your own. Be sure to tell the doctor that the injury occurred while at work and keep all records of the diagnosis and treatment. If the injury is at all severe, a visit to the emergency room is a good idea. It is important to see a doctor even if you do not have any symptoms after the injury, as some injuries do not develop symptoms until a later time.

Report the Injury and Keep Records

Be sure to report the injury to your employer as soon as you possibly can. In the state of Minnesota, your employer must complete a First Report of Injury (FROI) form within ten days of the injury, and you should get a copy of the form. If you are going to miss any time from work due to the injury, the FROI must also be filed with the Minnesota State Department of Labor and Industry. If there is any question of a possible dispute over whether or not the injury was work-related, it is wise to also consult with a workers’ compensation attorney.

Call to Speak to a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

If you have been injured at work or have been denied workers’ compensation benefits, do not take chances. Take the first step towards recovering the benefits you deserve. Schedule an appointment with a work injury attorney in Saint Louis Park or Hennepin County, Minnesota by calling Thill and Freeman at (952) 512-7512 today.